Friday, June 5, 2015

Event 1: Kathy High Waste Matters Exhibition

I went to Kathy High Exhibition at CNSI on May 6. Prior to attending the exhibit, I only know Kathy High and her interactions with animals, so I was expecting to see bioart work related to animals at first. Since I have no idea of Crohn's disease is about, it was definitely an interesting learning experience for me to understand the fecal microbial transplants in Crohn's disease. Although the exhibit is now over, I would recommend other people to check out videos and pictures to learn about the significance of fecal transplants in the disease. There is a video playing during the exhibit, which is an interview with two scientists on the development of fecal transplant. Unfortunately, I am not able to find it online. 

Interview with two scientists about fecal transplant

But check this video out!

How Fecal Transplants Can Save Lives


The exhibition Waste Matters: You are my future presents about 10 photos and pictures, feces exhibits, and a video explanation of the history and development of fecal transplants and its effectiveness. Walking into the exhibit, the first thing that caught my eyes is the bottles with honey-preserved feces. It is definitely catchy to put feces exhibit in the middle of the room because that would provoke visitor's interest in exploring what the usages of these feces. And I was wondering exactly this way. So I will agree that this is a smart design to raise awareness about the rare Crohn's disease.
Honey-preserved Feces Exhibit 

There is a huge poster of a letter that Kathy wrote (not sure if she has actually sent it out) at the corner. So I went over there to check out. This is a really bold letter to David Bowie, her favorite singer, for his feces to use it in fecal transplant to treat her Crohn's disease. Along the wall, there were portraits of Kathy High imitating the postures of David Bowie's album covers, proving to me that she is indeed a loyal fan of David Bowie. There will for sure be voices in artistic and scientific community criticizing Kathy for having no right to ask a celebrity for her fecal transplant. But at least I was impressed by Kathy's bravery in sending such a bold request. I think she has the right to ask for donation from anyone and hope she would get the feces donation from David Bowie!

 Letter of Kathy to David Bowie

 Pictures of Kathy High imitating covers of David Bowie's album covers (1)
 Pictures of Kathy High imitating covers of David Bowie's album covers (2)
Pictures of Kathy High imitating covers of David Bowie's album covers (3)

On the other side of the room, there is re-mediator series of pictures presenting the gut as a happy ecosystem. The happy children represent the equilibrium established by the healthy green flora in the intestines. I think Kathy chooses to use images of teenagers and kids because we students could relate to it better. 
Re-Rediator Series: Gut as a healthy ecosystem 

I found this exhibition very interesting. The artwork presented was clearly inspired by Kathy's Crohn's disease and her hope to get feces donation from David Bowie. The gallery really gives me insights to how Kathy High thinks about the Crohn's disease. It definitely helps to educate me about the disease and fecal transplant! 


Sources:
"EXHIBITION: "Waste Matters: You Are My Future" by Kathy High | UCLA Art | Sci Center + Lab." UCLA Art-Sci Center, n.d. Web. 17 May 2015.

"How Fecal Transplants Can Save Lives." YouTube. Seeker Stories, 07 Mar. 2015. Web. 05 June 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6RBfoITbls>.

No comments:

Post a Comment