Friday, June 5, 2015

Event 3: Louise Darling Biomedical library

I visited Louise Darling Biomedical library for the very first time last Friday. Although I have been at UCLA for almost two years, I have never had the chance to study at Biomedical library. Finally, I was there!

 Entrance of Biomedical Library

The library is located at a quite corner inside the Geffen school of medicine. It took me a long time to find the entrance as I initially thought the entrance is along the Westwood Boulevard. Eventually, I found the place with the help of google map and also figure out a short-cut route to the court of science from the library. 

                                               
Map of the Biomedical Library

As shown from the directory, the library consists of four floors. The first floor is a spacious study room. There are also biomed classrooms on the first floor but I do not have access to the rooms. There are also two rows of couches where students study with laptops on their laps there. The picture below was me chilling on the couch on Friday morning!

 Resting on the 1st floor couch on Friday Morning! 
The second floor is technology and learning center (TLC computer lab), third floor has a graduate reading rooms which I do not have access to, fourth floor has a history & special collections rooms where some precious books were displayed there.
Book Collections in the library 

 History & Special Collections Room, 4th floor of the library

 History & Special Collections Room, 4th floor of the library

It is a really good study spot. I went there again twice this week. I usually go to the 8th floor to study as it is very quite and has three sockets per table (a huge plus as compared to Powell Library). What is more, the tables next the window has a great view! In contrast to the crowded-ness of Powell library, there are not a lot of people in the biomed library even during the 9th and 10th weeks. Therefore, I would strongly recommend my friends and other classmates to study there!

Ready for studying!

Pictures below shows some exhibits of the History & Special Collections Room. There is an interesting art piece in the section of artists' books: book excavation-a sculptural work made by precise cuts of old books. It is also painted with graphical history of medical advancement. This tour of biomed library makes me realize that I do not need to go to an exhibition to see it, in fact, it is available in libraries too! I believe that the infusion of art and science is everywhere and I'll keep my eyes open to discover them!

Artists' Books

 
              Anatomical sculpture: Localization of brain function                       Chinese acupuncture 

No comments:

Post a Comment